About Research and Innovation at GPRC
GPRC Research and Innovation helps staff and student researchers achieve research impact. Our researchers explore ideas that effect meaningful change and spur the social and economic development of northwestern Alberta. We offer assistance with funding applications, budgeting and financial reporting, establishing and managing collaborations and partnerships, and facilitating student research.
Research: an undertaking intended to extend knowledge through disciplined inquiry or systematic investigation.
As GPRC moves toward degree-granting status, supporting research and other scholarly activities is an increasingly vital part of our mandate.
GPRC’s Five Realms of Scholarship
We have embraced a model of scholarship that meets the unique and complex contexts of the College’s people, location, history, and mandate. This model incorporates five realms of scholarship: discovery, integration, application, teaching, and practice.
- Discovery and Creation: Applied research, scholarly or artistic work, visual art, literature, academic research, invention of new technology.
- Application: Application of knowledge to larger social/industrial/economic governance needs; engagement with the broader community for mutual benefit.
- Integration: Identifying patterns and trends; synthesizing existing information and ideas for new perspectives; interdisciplinary; cross-trades/professions.
- Practice: Increasing personal depth of knowledge and currency in one’s own profession/discipline/trade.
- Teaching and Learning: The systematic study of teaching and learning to obtain a deeper understanding of pedagogical theory and practice and to inform new practice.
For examples and more information about the five realms of scholarship, click here.