Skip to main content

Main Menu

Fall 2020 Applications now open!

Winter 2020 Applications: Closed (unless in Canada with a valid study permit); Early Learning & Child Care and Business Administration programs are not available.

What programs are available to international students?

Most of our University Transfer programs, Certificates and Diplomas are available to international students. Programs that are not available include Apprenticeship programs, ThinkBIG Service Technician and Perioperative Nursing.

University Transfer and Certificate & Diploma Programs

For admission to our programs, some prerequisites must be met by all GPRC students, including English Language Proficiency (ELP) requirements. Here you will find details about our programs and the requirements to gain admission, as well as the most up-to-date information on post-graduate work permits. As a public college, most of our Certificate and Diploma programs are currently eligible for Post-Graduate Work Permit applications if they are eight months or longer.

Selection Criteria

GPRC reserves the right to determine the criteria for selection in all of its programs and courses. General regulations notwithstanding, the College, at its discretion, may refuse admission to any applicant.

When should I apply?

GPRC operates on a two-semester system: Fall (September to December) and Winter (January to April). Our programs are designed to be started in the Fall semester. Although beginning in the Winter semester is possible, it may take longer to complete your program if you are missing pre-requisites from the Fall semester. Programs cannot be started in the spring session, and no classes are available during the summer.

If you are applying for a study permit, we recommend applying 4-6 months before the start of the semester. You can check the IRCC processing times for your country to determine if you have enough time to receive a study permit before the start of classes.

If you have a valid study permit, we recommend applying before July 30th for the Fall semester and by November 30th for the Winter semester. Applications received after these dates may not be processed in time for admission.

If you are applying to the Nursing program, we start accepting applications October 1st of each year for the following September, and selection of applicants begins March 1; therefore, all official transcripts must be received by March 1. Transcripts from outside of Canada must be accompanied by an IQAS Educational Assessment:


How do I apply? How long will it take?

Complete an online application, pay the $140.00CAD non-refundable application fee, and 1-2 weeks later you will be contacted with instructions on what supporting documents to submit and how to submit them.

1-2 weeks after all documents have been provided, if admissible, an offer of admission will be sent to you via email.

1-2 weeks after you have accepted the offer and paid the tuition deposit, your Letter of Admission will be issued. This letter can be used to apply for your study permit.

How much does it cost? When & how do I have to pay?

Admission to a program does not guarantee you a seat in that program. Once you have been admitted, and have a valid study permit, you will be given instructions on how to register for your courses. When you register for courses all remaining tuition and fees must be paid to secure your seat in the program.

Registration for new students opens on May 1st of each year for both the Fall and Winter semesters, so we strongly recommended that international students apply early, and register as soon as they are eligible to avoid being waitlisted in required classes. Waiting to register until the start of classes may result in students being waitlisted in required classes for their program, and there is no guarantee an instructor will accept waitlisted students if the class is full.

What are the housing options?

GPRC offers on-campus housing, and also maintains an off-campus housing and apartment directory. Most students choose to live on-campus, so housing can fill up fast. We strongly recommend submitting an online application as soon as you have been admitted to a program.

Do I need Health Care Coverage?

Yes, all students require health insurance while studying at GPRC and you are responsible for obtaining personal health care coverage. International students must have basic health care coverage from either the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP), health care from another province, or health insurance from a private provider.

Students moving permanently to Alberta from another country or students with a valid study permit may be eligible for the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP).

More About AHCIP

Full-time students in most credit programs at GPRC may be automatically enrolled in, and be required to pay for, the Student Health and Dental Plan, which provides extended health and dental care coverage not covered under AHCIP. The plan can be opted out of if alternate coverage can be proven, and eligibility requirements are met.

More About Eligibility