French as a Second Language Certificate of Achievement Loading...
The French as a Second Language (FSL) Certificate of Achievement is designed for students in a Bachelor’s degree program. Meet with an advisor to discuss how the course requirements for this certificate of achievement may fit in to your desired degree.
Students wishing to begin their studies towards this Certificate of Achievement normally request admission to a university transfer program and will need to meet the admission requirements as stated. Additionally, all students will require successful completion of matriculation level French, i.e. French 30. Students without this requirement may enrol in FR0120 and FR0130 to obtain this prerequisite.
Recognition will be given for advanced standing for a maximum of 12 credits from approved university-level courses taken at a recognized post-secondary institution.
The mandatory courses specific to the FSL Certificate of Achievement may be completed within the requirements of a Bachelor's degree program.
French requirements - Minimum of 21 credits:
- FR0120 and FR0130 Beginner French I and II
- FR2110 and FR2120 First Year French (Intermediate level French I and II) or
FR2210 and FR2240 First Year French for French Immersion/Francophone (Niveau Intermediaire I et II)
- FR2970 and FR2980 Second year UT French (Advanced French I and II)
- FR2540 Introduction to Translation Theory and Practice: French – English – French
- FR3010 Introduction to French Literary Studies
Additional Requirements - 3 credits chosen from:
- FR2330 French Cultural Moments
- ED4450* Teaching Second Languages in the Elementary School
- Approved Sr. French Course (3)
*May not be offered each semester. Please contact an Academic Advisor for options.
To qualify for a Certificate of Achievement in French as a Second Language, you will need to successfully complete the 21 credits of prescribed curriculum with a minimum of C- in all courses. When you have completed all program requirements, please apply to graduate.