GPRC Library Donations Policy
The Grande Prairie Regional College Library welcomes donations of items that enhance the existing collection and support the academic and research needs of our students, faculty and staff. All donations are accepted on the basis that the material becomes the property of the GPRC Library. Donations will not be returned to the donor.
1. The library generally accepts materials that meet the following criteria:
- Must meet the curricular needs of GPRC students and staff
- Clean, unmarked and in good physical condition
- Recently published or have historical value
2. Materials not suitable for donation:
- Mass market paperbacks
- Outdated textbook
- Duplicates of material in our collection
- Popular magazines or Newspapers
- Material in poor condition or containing mould or pests
- Single or random issues of periodicals
- Items in languages not presently collected at the library
- Sets of encyclopedias more than 5 years old
3. When donating materials, the donor must fill out a donation form. When the donor requests a tax receipt, an itemized list (title, author, publication date) of all items is required, along with the donation form. Donations must be delivered to the GPRC library at the donor’s arrangement and expense.
- Not all items donated to the GPRC Library will become part of the library’s collection. The assessment of donations will be the responsibility of the librarians of the GPRC Library, in consultation with subject specialists when needed. The Library reserves the right to discard materials not accepted into the Library Collection in accordance with approved College policy. Discarded materials will be (a) sold to raise funds, (b) offered to other libraries or charity, (c) disposed of.
- Material will be evaluated at “fair market value” at the time of the donation. Tax receipts are available upon the request of the donor for a donation of a cumulative appraised value of $50 or more over a calendar year. Materials are eligible for tax receipts only in the year in which they were donated and will only cover the items accepted into the library’s collection. Tax receipts will be issued in Canadian currency.
- Complimentary or examination copies or items purchased with research or professional development funds may donated, but tax receipts will not issued.
- A letter of acknowledgment will be sent to every donor.
- The donors of substantial donations may request bookplates to be placed in the donated materials. The decision to add bookplates will be made by the GPRC Librarians on a case-by-case basis.