Whistle-Walking While We Work
Simple but effective ways to implement positive change for the community
GPRC Walking Routes were created as an initiative to better the lives of the College’s Students, Staff and Community members by remaining in touch with their active side. GPRC Student Wellness is providing one more resource for people to get out and get active in their daily routine so they may enjoy life by maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle and get the most out of each day.
Too cold or wet outside but you still want to go for a relaxing walk? No matter - each route takes its walkers indoors through the many halls of the College Campus seeing all the marvelous characteristics that make GPRC such a great place to be and learn.
The objective of GPRC Walking Routes is to increase interdepartmental relations between students and staff, increase health benefits and engage the active lifestyles of community members while on GPRC Campus. The Walking Routes are a fun way to stay active, catch up with friends, co-workers and classmates, and maintain a healthy lifestyle even with so much on one’s plate. So put on your walking shoes, find a route that suites you and get moving!
Student Wellness Walking Routes
The detailed booklet featuring multiple Walking Routes throughout our GPRC Campus are free and available at the following locations;
- Fitness Centre - K111
- Student Services - H103
- Library - F205
- Executive Suite - E213
- IT Office - D307
- Facilities - Maintenance & Operations - G102
|The booklet contains four different walking routes, all within the halls of GPRC Grande Prairie. Accompanying the maps of the building, is a legend with a step by step process a person can take to complete the route. Follow the steps carefully so you may get your bearings. On the back of each route are a few statistics about the route itself. You'll notice the Estimated Time of the Route, the Total Distance, Stairs, Steps and Calories Burned - all of these numbers are of an approximation. Each person is different, leading to different values, depending on how fast and how far you walk.
The routes are also perfect for any type of walk - Need to get out of the office for 5 minutes? There's a Route for that! Need to pick up some mail at the Cashier's Desk and would like to walk with someone from the 4th floor? There's a Route for that! Find a Route that works for you and your situation.
Want to start right away but are unsure of what to look for in a Walking Pedometer?! Student Wellness can help you out!
Simply go to the GPRC Fitness Centre main desk and sign out an official UWALK Pedometer for the during of any SW run Walking Challenge (3-4 weeks).
Student Wellness is currently conducting the "Alberta, Border to Border" UWALK Challenge. It features the members of the GPRC Wolves Walkers group travelling 2,610km across Alberta in 4 weeks or less. Use the Walking Routes to help you acquire steps and kilometers to complete the challenge and many others like it. Create an account with UWALK, join the GPRC Wolves Walkers group and join the staff challenge, and put your steps into action!
Benefits to Walking Regularly:
1) Strengthen Your Heart
2) Build Strong Bones
3) Strengthen Muscles
4) Maintain Flexibility
5) Promote Good Posture & Balance
6) Enhance Healthy Growth & Development
7) Increase Relaxation
8) Social Setting to Catch up with co-workers, friends & family
9) Get you where you need to go in a cost effective and environmental friendly way
"UWALK is focused on empowering people to be active through walking. Walk to decrease tension, improve your mood, keep you energized and boost your self-confidence.
UWALK is developed by the University of Alberta's Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation, and funded by the Government of Alberta. UWALK aims to help Albertans find their stride and support them moving forward."
Participants of UWALK will be able to find their stride through many different forms of physical activity, and record their steps taken on a daily basis. Simply go to the website and see just how easy it is to maintain a great active living habit, and track your progress online.
Sign up your UWALK account and find out more about this amazing initative by going to UWALK.CA
Once you're signed up join the GPRC Wolves Walkers 'Group' and be part of fun challenges amongst the College staff. There you will be able to see your progress, number of steps taken, flights of stairs climbed and see how others are doing. Simply add your steps in the 'Log Book' and see your improvements!! It's that easy.
Additional Walking Resources & Tips
- Walk with a partner - Stay social with your friends and co-workers without your phone and all the social media
- If you're a GPRC student find a time during your instructor's scheduled office hours to walk together and discuss your questions about the material covered in class
- Use Walking Poles for increased activity and upper body stregthening - Poles are available to sign out at the Fitness Centre
- Use Pedometers to track your steps and approximate calories burned each time you go for a walk. See your progress be entering this criteria over weeks and months and feel the benefits! Pedometers are available to sign out at the Fitness Centre
- Take a moment during your walk to perform a light physical exercise for added body engagement - For Example: 5 Front or Side Lunges, 5 Squats, 5 Tricep Push Ups on Chair, etc.
- Explore new areas of the College and design your own routes for a heightened walking experience!!
- Student Wellness recommends using the informative App useable by Andorid Phones called 'Run Keeper'. This wonderful App is designed to track how many kms you walk or run, calories burned, use GPS to determine your routes taken, but that's not all! You can easily sync your music so there's no hassle, set daily/weekly/monthly goals, see your progress and create your own audio coach to receive motivation and guidance to keep you moving!
Walking With Attitude - www.walkingwithattitude.com
Alberta Centre for Active Living - www.centre4activeliving.ca