Dogs on Campus!
Wellness is more than just taking care of the physical aspect of one's life... it's imperative to everyone's well-being to take care of their mind and spirit as well. One cannot help but smile and feel joy when they see these little critters walking up and down the halls of GPRC. In that moment, it's proven that people feel a decrease in anxiety, are less overwhelmed with their projects and assignments and are re-energized to take on the day.
GPRC Student Wellness offers its Students and Staff plenty of opportunities to pet, play and hug friendly dogs brought to campus by the wonderful Grande Prairie SPCA. Puppies Days is a chance for all students members to pet, play and hug the little ones to bring out smiles and melt away all the unwanted stresses of being a College student.
Student Wellness Puppy Days... Helping the Campus Community one Paw at a time!
Benefits of Puppy Days Animal Therapy on Campus;
- Improved Cardiovascular Health
- Decrease in Blood Pressure
- Release of endorphins which can have a calming effect
- Reduced Anxiety
- Decrease in feelings of isolation and alienation
- Decrease in overall stress during a hectic time at College (especially around Mid-Terms & Final Exams)
- Provide a non-stressful, non-judgemental environment
- Proven to help decrease feeling of depression simply by playing with a pet
Dogs see many benefits too;
- Improving social skills with people
- Joy of being held, petted and hugged to uplift the dog's spirited personality
- Added exposure for the dogs available for adoption, and the SPCA program
- Last year 9 of 12 dogs that came to campus were adopted within a week of being a GPRC, in just 6 visits!! (love for these dogs and this program is evident)
When can you expect the dogs?? Here's the current schedule (updated July 7)
GPRC will be welcoming some new additions this year!
The local St. John's Ambulance Services will be on campus this year. They provide animal programs and we are happy to have them on board with the Puppy Days initiative here on campus. Visit their website by CLICKING HERE.
The Grande Prairie centre for the Therapeutic Paws of Canada organizations is also on board this year which is very exciting for the Student Wellness program as many of their dedicated staff & volunteers are very interested to lower stress and anxiety on campus and improve the lives of both the dogs and those they see. CLICK HERE to visit their website.
GPRC Student Wellness welcomes the return of the G.P. SPCA this fall. Go to www.gpspca.com for information about how you can help out the Organization and Animals in the shelter.