Dogs on Campus!
Wellness is more than just taking care of the physical aspect of one's life... it's imperative to everyone's well-being to take care of their mind and spirit as well. One cannot help but smile and feel joy when they see these little critters walking up and down the halls of GPRC. In that moment, it's proven that people feel a decrease in anxiety, are less overwhelmed with their projects and assignments and are re-energized to take on the day.
GPRC Student Wellness offers its Students and Staff plenty of opportunities to pet, play and hug friendly dogs brought to campus by the wonderful Grande Prairie SPCA. Puppies Days is a chance for all students members to pet, play and hug the little ones to bring out smiles and melt away all the unwanted stresses of being a College student.
Student Wellness Puppy Days... Helping the Campus Community one Paw at a time!
Benefits of Puppy Days Animal Therapy on Campus;
- Improved Cardiovascular Health
- Decrease in Blood Pressure
- Release of endorphins which can have a calming effect
- Reduced Anxiety
- Decrease in feelings of isolation and alienation
- Decrease in overall stress during a hectic time at College (especially around Mid-Terms & Final Exams)
- Provide a non-stressful, non-judgemental environment
- Proven to help decrease feeling of depression simply by playing with a pet
Dogs see many benefits too;
- Improving social skills with people
- Joy of being held, petted and hugged to uplift the dog's spirited personality
- Added exposure for the dogs available for adoption, and the SPCA program
- Last year 9 of 12 dogs that came to campus were adopted within a week of being a GPRC, in just 6 visits!! (love for these dogs and this program is evident)
When can you expect the dogs?? Here's the current schedule
September 9th - 11am - 1pm
September 29th - 11am - 1pm
October 7th - 11am - 1pm
October 21st - 11am - 1pm
November 3rd - 11am - 1pm
November 19th - 11am - 1pm
December 1st - 11am - 1pm
December 9th - 11am - 1pm
These wonderful dogs will be back in the Fall Semester to not only enjoy your company, but to enjoy your 'Baby Talk' as well! Keep an eye out for these furry fellows wandering the halls of GPRC.
G.P. SPCA offers many opportunities to come to shelter and volunteer some time to give the dogs attention and exercise while walking them outdoors. Be a part of their Fundraising Events, the Canine and Feline Enrichment Program and possible Foster Care options. Go to www.gpspca.com for information about how you can help out the Organization and Animals in the shelter.