Questions to Ask About Off-Campus Housing
- How much is rent?
- When is it due?
- Is there a security deposit?
- When does it have to be paid?
- Is there a charge for utilities/telephone/cable/laundry/parking?
Lease & Agreements
- Ensure there is a written lease spelling out all aspects of the rental arrangement - including a written entry inspection report.
- Busing, biking, or walking to the college, grocery stores, shopping etc.
- Are there good quality locks and dead bolts on the doors?
- Do the windows lock?
- Who are the neighbours and what is the neighbourhood like?
- How close are the bus stops?
- Is there adequate outside lighting?
- Bed, desk, chair, lighting/outlets, bookshelves, closet space - is it comfortable?
- What decorating can you do?
House Rights & Priveleges
- Access to television/kitchen?
- Visitors/overnight guests?