To ensure your safety on campus:
- When working alone in classes always try to work the "Buddy System" which always allows you to have a study partner.
- Be familiar with your surroundings know where the closest exit is.
- Do not give out personal information to strangers.
- If you feel that you are being followed by a suspicious individual at the Grande Prairie Campus, find the closest "Security Blue Phone" and contact security. For Fairview, contact one of the 2 Fairview College exterior security guards. If there is no guard on site contact the Fairview RCMP Detachment. Remain calm and provide security or the RCMP with a full description of the individual and an informative description of your current location. This will speed up Campus security or the RCMP in locating your current position.
- Always keep your personal belongings on you at all times. Do not leave wallets, laptops and other electronics in plain sight. This gives any possible criminals the opportunity to commit a crime.
- Do not leave personal information or belongings unattended. It only takes a split second for a thief to walk away with something.
- If you are working alone in an office please contact Campus Security and inform them of your location. Also give them an approximate time you will be on site. This will allow security to check up on you on a regular basis.
- Do not carry large amounts of cash while at GPRC.
- Always secure your locker and make sure there is a lock on it. If you have a combination lock on your locker do not share the number with anyone. Also, when you are entering the numbers ensure that there is no one present that could gather that information.
Being knowledable and alert is the best defence against crime and accidents.