News Archives: Community Partnership Provides Full Range of Services for Adult Learners
Released: Wednesday, August 28th, 2013
A full range of services for adult learners in Grande Cache is now possible due to a new partnership between the Grande Cache Adult Learning Centre (previously CALC – Community Adult Learning Centre) and Grande Prairie Regional College (GPRC.) In June 2013 the two organizations signed a Memorandum of Agreement to create a learning centre located at the Grande Cache Recreation Centre. The centre will provide a one-stop shop for adult learning where students may:
- Enrol in English Language Learning and English as a Second Language training free of charge through classes or one-on-one tutors,
- Improve reading, writing, and computer skills,
- Obtain assistance to achieve the General Education Diploma (GED)
- Complete a high school equivalency diploma,
- Enrol in upgrading courses necessary to prepare for college or university
- Get help to navigate through the various post-secondary opportunities (college certificate and diploma programs, university degrees and trade training)
- Start earning credits toward a degree by attending GPRC University Transfer course via video-conference technology,
- Write exams supervised by an approved invigilator,
- Access computer work stations to take on-line courses,
- Volunteer as a literacy tutor.
“GPRC is excited to share space with the Grande Cache Recreation Centre. This is a great opportunity to share resources. By working together, we are creating greater access for adults to continue lifelong learning,” says Renée LaBoucane, Manager of Community Stewardship with GPRC.
“The centre is a one-stop shop for all adult learners. Whether adults are looking for a personal interest course such as cake decorating, need a CPR refresher course as part of their job, want to obtain their GED, or want to begin their university degree, we can assist them” indicates Natasha Brown, Adult Learning & Literacy Coordinator.
The Adult Learning & Literacy program is operated by the Grande Cache Community Programs Society, which is a registered not-for-profit organization. Grande Prairie Regional College provides services to post-secondary learners in Grande Cache.
“GPRC is exceptionally pleased to be a partner in this opportunity for the learners of our region,” says Susan Bansgrove, Vice-President Academics and Research. “It is our stated mission to create connections to education, experience and community one life at a time. Projects such as this are clearly fulfilment of that mission. We are delighted with the enthusiasm of our partners in Grande Cache to help make this a reality.”
For further details contact:
Natasha Brown, Adult Learning & Literacy Coordinator
(780) 827-2446 ext. 230 or via email at email@example.com
Renée LaBoucane, Manager, Community Stewardship
(780) 865-7666 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org