News Archives: Exelon Student Research Award - Women in STEM
Tuesday, February 9th, 2021
Are you a GPRC female student studying in a STEM field (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics)? Are you passionate about your education and want to take it to the next level? Do you want to build meaningful research experience and community connections?
Apply for the Women in STEM Student Research Award. Submit your proposal for a self-directed research project that you can complete during the summer months (May - August, 2021). Along with a research stipend and a small budget for supplies and other research necessities, the Student Research Award gives you the opportunity to carry out your own research project with support from a qualified faculty mentor.
Applications are now being accepted with a March 31, 2021 deadline.
Any current part- or full-time GPRC student who self-identifies as female is eligible to apply. At the time of application, the applicant must be enrolled in one of the following GPRC credit programs:
- Bachelor of Science (University Transfer)
- Computing Science, Computing & Information Systems, or Computer Systems Technology
- Parts and Materials Technician
- Power Engineering
- Motorcycle Mechanic
- Industrial Mechanic
- Automotive Service Technician
- Heavy Equipment Technician
- Gasfitter, Plumber, Steamfitter-Pipefitter
- Be original and use an appropriate methodology
- Respond to a real industry or community need
- Have utility in “the real world”
- Be feasible within the recommended time frame and available resources
Student Research Awards are intended to:
- Cultivate and support research partnerships between students and faculty members
- Develop positive working relationships
- Provide students with meaningful summer employment
- Provide applied learning experiences solving real world problems
- Allow students to explore career opportunities in the research environment and investigate and learn more about an area of interest.
We encourage students to talk to us if they have an interest but are not sure where to start, are unsure whether their project is suitable, or need help finding a mentor.
Email questions to Taylor Merkley Doyer, Research Facilitator at TDoyer@GPRC.ab.ca or call 780-539-2220.
Expert faculty mentorship will be available to winners of this award as they execute their projects. (NOTE: Please include in your application a brief explanation of how you intend to manage COVID-19 concerns for the duration of your project. Accepted projects may be subject to sudden changes and delays based on the rapidly shifting COVID-19 health guidelines).
To apply, complete the application here.
Submit the completed application form to GPRC Financial Aid (email@example.com) on or before March 31, 2021.
Explore GPRC's research opportunities table here.