|Thursday, April 18, 2013||Grande Prairie Regional College|
|Subscribe | Unsubscribe | Archives | Feedback|
April 18, 2013
In this issue
Every year, the Fine Arts Department at GPRC celebrates the exceptional achievements of our students with our annual Fine Arts Awards Evening. The evening of April 13th was filled with entertainment starting with the Electroacoustic Ensemble concert in the Douglas Cardinal Theatre, music students providing background music in Pillars, the official Closing of the Year-End Student Art Show in the Glass Gallery, and finally the Fine Arts Awards presentations to complete the evening.
Susan Bansgrove, VP of Academics and Research, welcomed over 100 of our students, faculty and their families with her eloquent words that echoed the sentiments of the Department.
“In our community, and in the Peace Region as a whole, the Fine Arts offered at GPRC – and the many musical, art, and theatre shows our faculty and students produce – enrich, expand and celebrate our lives. So it is all over the world! Human beings cannot live without creative expression. Through the arts we express our humanity in all its breadth and depth – our joys, our sorrows, our hopes. “
Thanks to many generous donors, we are very fortunate to have the opportunity to provide awards and scholarships to our Music, Art and Drama students. ~ Submitted by Joanne Porta
The Electroacoustic Ensemble performing in the Douglas Cardinal Theatre.
Instructor, Ken Housego.
Click here to read more from a recent article in the Fairview Post.
· Thank you and congratulations to Ms. Joan Godbout as the Chair of the Academic Upgrading Department. Joan has been a wonderful Chair over the past three years and has accepted an appointment for another two-year term.
· A huge thank you and kudos to Be Fit For Life Centre Coordinator, Jodi Minton and her Team, for their involvement in the Get Outdoors Alberta event on April 13th. In spite of the weather, 184 people attended making the first annual event a success!
· GPRC has five student-athletes in the CCAA Academic All Canadians: Josh Nicol -Men’s Basketball; Jamie Wigmore - Cross Country Running; Maggie Zacsko -Women’s Soccer; Katie Spaidal - Women’s Soccer; Jonathan Morley - Men’s Volleyball.
· Congratulations to GPRC Fine Arts Instructor, Elizabeth Belliveau, for being a featured interview in the Globe and Mail Art Subscription Papirmasse.
· GPRC recognizes the dedication of Dave Waknuk, Head Coach Wolves Women’s Basketball, to the recruitment of athletes for the Wolves Women’s Basketball Club, and for his relationship building with parents and students. His passion for student success is obvious, as noted in a recent letter from a Hinton parent.
· Congratulations to GPRC Fine Arts Instructor, Edward Bader, who has a painting on display as part of the Cenovus Art Competition at the Bow Art Gallery in Calgary. The competition to be a part of this display is by invitation only and aimed at mid-career Alberta based artists without a national profiles. This is a great accomplishment Ed!
· Congratulations to GPRC Nursing Instructor, Karen Oostra, currently enrolled in the Master of Nursing program at Trinity Western University, for being awarded an Alberta Registered Nurses Educational Trust (ARNET) Scholarship of $2500. This scholarship is awarded to registered nurses and nurse practitioners who best exemplify ARNET's commitment to promoting nursing excellence. GPRC is very proud of Karen!
Anna Lapointe Book Launch & Reading
7:00 pm - Alumni Lounge
Everyone welcome to attend
Careers Next Generation - GP Campus
Hinton Trades Discovery Day
5:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Dr. Duncan Murray Recreation Centre
Convocation GP Campus
Employee Recognition Ceremony - Fairview Campus
Grade 7 Day - GP Campus
May 9 & 10
May 15 & 16
NW Regional Skills Competition - FV Campus
Employee Recognition Ceremony - Grande Prairie Campus
Careers Next Generation - Break Out 2013
Grade 11 Career Conference for Peace Wapiti School District
26th Annual College Classic
Grande Prairie Golf & Country Club