NOTICE: Select safety courses are currently being offered in-person as part of GPRC’s Relaunch Strategy. Online and videoconference courses will be available for registration and will run as scheduled.
You can start self-paced Online courses at any time. To start sooner than a listed course date, contact us here
OFFER: Get up to 2/3 of your employee training costs covered through the Canada Job Grant.
Training can be done online, on-site, and in the classroom. Classes can be part-time or full-time.
Apply now >>
Human Resources Essentials Certificate
Human Resources Essentials - Professional Development Certificate
Human resources is a broad topic that touches on many facets of any organization. There are some core concepts that all HR practitioners should know. This program delivers information on the recruitment and termination processes, generational challenges, and common HR issues faced in the workplace. Whether you are new to HR, perform the HR function in addition to other roles, or need to have an understanding of the HR role, this program will give you a strong foundation to make a difference in your organization.
Learning and Career Growth
These courses will help you:
- Understand the selection process
- Prepare for the interview and question process
- Create employee performance plans
- Establish effective termination meetings
- Discuss current issues in the human resource field and the changing role of supervisors and managers in terms of HR functions
- Explain what is acceptable behaviour in the workplace and what is not
- Define the various types of harassment
- List the key external and internal drivers of a disrespectful workplace culture
- Define business succession planning and its role in your company
- Identify contract elements and negotiate contracts
- Understanding the benefits and purpose of employee onboarding
- Know when and where recognition is needed
- Recognize differences and common ground between each type of generation
- Leverage the benefits of generation gaps at work
- Plan and implement a health and wellness program
- Know the characteristics of millennials and develop action plans for working with them
- Describe the meaning of stereotypes and biases and how they develop
- List strategies for removing barriers to encouraging diversity for yourself, in the workplace, and in the social community
Duration and Delivery
This certificate consists of 4 core and 4 elective courses, approximately 8 - 12 hours in length, for a total of 76 instructional hours. Courses are offered in a self-paced online format, or through instructor-led live online sessions.
Core Courses (Required):
Elective Courses (Four Required):
Course fees range from $179 - $325 and the total cost to complete the full certificate is $1,790 based on the current course fees. Fees are listed with individual courses, and courses do not require any additional purchase of supplementary materials. Fees are subject to change.
There are no admission requirements for this program. You can register for a course at any time. Courses can be taken in any order.
Courses may be taken individually, or complete 4 core and 4 elective courses to obtain a Human Resources Essentials professional development certificate. You must achieve an average test score of at least 70% in each course to meet the minimum successful completion requirement. You will have three attempts at all graded assessments.
Courses in the 'Human Resources Essentials Certificate'