NOTICE: Select safety courses are currently being offered in-person as part of GPRC’s Relaunch Strategy. Online and videoconference courses will be available for registration and will run as scheduled.
You can start self-paced Online courses at any time. To start sooner than a listed course date, contact us here
OFFER: Get up to 2/3 of your employee training costs covered through the Canada Job Grant.
Training can be done online, on-site, and in the classroom. Classes can be part-time or full-time.
Apply now >>
Beekeeping: Taking Care of Your Hive (BKP02)
During this one-day introductory beekeeping course, Paul Benoit will touch on:
- Why you should keep bees
- Introduction to parts of a hive, pollen trap, propolis mat
- How to use a smoker and open a hive without getting stung
- Facts about the beekeeping industry
- Basic anatomy and life cycle
- How bees make honey
- Where to get bees and start your hive
- Diseases, what to look for, different control methods
- What to feed your bees, including how to medicate, if necessary
- When and how to move your hives
- Adding supers, requeening, swarm control
- How to harvest honey, pollen and beeswax
- How to prepare your hive for the winter