Back to school jitters are a real and normal experience of post-secondary life. It doesn’t what year of study you’re in, if you’re fresh out of high school, a mature student or somewhere in between; it doesn’t matter what program you’re taking, or if you already know someone attending GPRC or not. Back to school jitters get us all, and with a new academic year starting at GPRC in T-24 hours, we took to our social media followers for some helpful advice on how to combat back to school jitters.
They had some really awesome advice, check it out.
Our first question asked on Instagram was aimed towards GPRC alumni and returning students. We asked “What advice do you have for first students?”
The answers were really incredible.
- Don’t procrastinate.
- Get your work done right away, it will honestly save so much time and stress in the long run.
- Buy your textbooks on amazon.
- Be on time.
- Attend every class – even after ThursDen.
- Attend all the orientation events. You’ll meet some awesome friends there!
- Balance. Balance the essays, lab reports, and studying with things you enjoy.
- Go for walks. Fresh air will help you think.
- Learn where your classes are ahead of time.
- Learn where your supports are around campus and make use of them. They are there to help you after all.
- Remember to live a little.
- Come to home games. It’s so fun to be a part of something and why not cheer on your fellow Wolves.
- Don’t be afraid to be yourself.
- Get to campus early for parking!
- Secure your favourite study spot early. Exam time, you’ll thank yourself.
- Don’t forget to believe in yourself.
- Talk to your classmates and attend social events. You could meet lifelong friends.
- You might not have everything under control right off the bat and that’s okay. It’s okay to find your groove.
- Don’t miss a day! One day can change everything!
- Don’t be afraid. Life is scary enough, find things to love about college and enjoy it!
- Utilize all of the student resources and take your studies seriously!
- You belong here just as much of the next person.
- The Students’ Association is here for you!
- Take on chance and sign up for that course you’re curious about. You might find your passion, an awesome hobby or meet like-minded people.
- Don’t be afraid to talk to your instructors. Ask for help!
Now that we’ve got some tips on how to battle those back to school jitters, we’re almost ready to take on the new school year. But first, let’s move on to the second question we asked our social media followers. We asked to our new and returning students, “What are you most looking forward to this academic year?” with hopes are sharing their response to give some of students who are nervous about coming back to school, some light and things they can also look forward too.
Here’s their responses.
- Meeting new people – this is my first time moving away from home and it’s terrifying but also so exciting.
- Moving out!
- Finishing school so I can start a career I know I’m going to love.
- Being challenged by classes and assignments again.
- Living the dorms with my three besties. It’s going to be so much fun.
- Securing my favourite study spot at the Library.
- No classes before 10 a.m.
- Decorating my space to make it my own!
- Getting the soccer season underway!
- Seeing all my friends again and getting to meet new ones.
- Making memories to look back on for a lifetime.
- Getting back on the court!
- Meeting like-minded people who share the same passions as me but also challenge me to view the world differently.
- Joining a student group or club. I love getting involved and want to make the best of my time at GPRC.
- School supply shopping. New notebooks and pens put me in such a good mood. I can’t wait to use them.
- Getting back in the gym and getting involved with intramurals again.
- TOGA! SA parties are the best!
We hope you found some of those tips helpful as you get ready to head back to GPRC or get ready to join us for your first year!
The number one advice we’d like to leave you with is, remember to make use of your student resources. They are here to help you and help you succeed in this next chapter of your life. You can find them all here.
Welcome to the GPRC family.