Wednesday, February 6, 2019 | Event Time: 12:00 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. | Location: GPRC Douglas J. Cardinal Performing Arts Centre Concourse & Side Entrance
– During this event, participants are asked to walk around the Muskoseepi Park Reservoir Trail at their own leisure.
Winter Walk Day encourages people across Alberta to be active outdoors during winter by walking at least 15 minutes outside. More than 800 organizations and 120,000 Albertans took part last year. This is a fun FREE provincial event to inspire people to go outdoors and demonstrate how easy it is to lead healthy active lifestyles year-round. During this event, participants are asked to walk around the Muskoseepi Park Reservoir Trail next to GPRC campus at their own leisure. The Grande Prairie Be Fit For Life Centre will be collecting the number of participants that take part in the walk between 12:00 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. Last year over 80 participants enjoyed the fresh air, beautiful walk and a quick hot chocolate/tea with us, lets see if we can beat those numbers this year!
Winter Walking Tips:
- Wear warm, appropriate footwear and clothing.
- Dress in layers – Over-dressing is better than under-dressing as clothing can always be removed if you get too hot.
- Wear bright colours so drivers can see you such as safety vests, bright scarves/neck warmers, gloves or toques.
- Walk with a friend, neighbour, or the whole family
- Ensure vehicles have come to a complete stop and make eye contact with the driver before crossing the street – many intersections are slippery.
- Talk with your kids about pedestrian safety skills before and during your walk.
Benefits of Walking:
- Strengthens bones & muscles
- Improves or maintains fitness levels
- Boosts mood
- Provides an active social opportunity with new or existing friends and coworkers
- Strengthens the heart
- Promotes healthy growth & development
- Helps establish healthy habits
- Increases energy levels & reduces fatigue
- Teaches road safety skills
- Teaches youth about their community