The community of Jasper approached Grande Prairie Regional College (GPRC) with an interest in pursuing the creation of world-class culinary programming in the Jasper community.
GPRC is supporting the community’s vision and is investing in the exploratory stages of determining whether a culinary program, or broader hospitality program, would generate the necessary interest, support, and commitment from the community to make an educational program in the Jasper region a viable project for GPRC to pursue.
Of course, any decision on new GPRC programming in the Jasper area will be based on the real needs of students. That means that prior to the launch of any new educational initiative, there needs to be a clear, sustainable employer and student demand, as well as broader business community support for the program.
To identify this support, GPRC has:
- 2015 - Interviewed community stakeholders
- May 2016 - Hosted a stakeholder community meeting to verify support to continue to pursue the idea
- June - August 2016 - Collected data from other training and educational institutions that offer the types of programming being considered for Jasper
- August - September 2016 - Conducted an online survey with a targeted group of business owners and managers in the hotel, restaurant and hospitality industry.
- September – October 2016 - The leadership team of this GPRC project contacted selected business owners/managers to gather additional information via in-person interviews.
- November 23, 2016 – GPRC presented the results of the consultation process at a community stakeholder and confirmed the community’s interested in pursuing the next phase of the program.
- News Release – November 23, 2016
A Community Advisory board will guide the project through the next phase of the project which involves examining various program options with experts in the culinary education training field and considering potential options for the physical space needed in the community and be completed in late-Spring 2017.
If you are interested in learning more about the Jasper Project or the activities currently underway contact Renée LaBoucane at email@example.com.