The community of Jasper approached Grande Prairie Regional College (GPRC) with an interest in pursuing the creation of world-class culinary programming in the Jasper community.
GPRC supported the community’s vision and is investing in the exploratory stages of determining whether a culinary program, or broader hospitality program, would generate the necessary interest, support, and commitment from the community to make an educational program in the Jasper region a viable project for GPRC to pursue.
Of course, any decision on new GPRC programming in the Jasper area had to be based on the real needs of students and industry. That meant that, prior to the launch of any new educational initiative, the College needed to identify if there is clear, sustainable employer and student demand, as well as broader business community support for the program.
To identify this support, GPRC has:
- 2015 - Interviewed community stakeholders.
- May 2016 - Hosted a stakeholder community meeting to verify support for continuing to pursue the idea.
- June - August 2016 - Collected data from other training and educational institutions that offer the types of programming being considered for Jasper.
- August - September 2016 - Conducted an online survey with a targeted group of business owners and managers in the hotel, restaurant and hospitality industry.
- September – October 2016 - The leadership team of this GPRC project contacted selected business owners/managers to gather additional information via in-person interviews.
- November 23, 2016 – GPRC presented the results of the consultation process at a community stakeholder and confirmed the community is interested in pursuing the next phase of the program.
- December 2016 - Established a Community Advisory board to guide the project through the final phase of the exploratory project that involved examining various program options with experts in the culinary education training field and considering potential options for the physical space needed in the community.
- July 2017 - the final report completed by GPRC and Community Advisory Committee submitted to the Government of Alberta to provide GPRC direction on any next steps for the project.
If you are interested in learning more about the Jasper Project contact Shirley Pasieka.